The Imperial Freestyle Sidewhiskers Challenge 2006
Winning by a whisker is the British way
- but not by the hair of our chinny chin chins
Be Proud - Great Britain was and is Athens NOT Sparta
Great British Ideas and Inventions
1. The "Zebra" Pedestrian Crossing
These represent the very essence of our civilisation and culture; a British invention that only works in Great Britain. Good manners, and good sense overriding class, age, fashion and money.
Just like our society, few can quite explain why they work, with little "official" enforcement - strangers co-operating for the greater good and maximum efficiency despite a very large "cheaters" advantage permanently built into the system.
2 The Ferguson System of "three point linkage http://www.fergusonsociety.co.uk/
---feed the world.
4. Land Rovers
8. Working jump-jet
10. Sinclair C5 - someday all cars will look like this
11. Tea with milk
12. Underground railways
13. Stamps and modern pre-paid mail.
14. Macintosh, protective clothing systems
15. The American Constitution
17. Association rules football
18 Vickers Super-Marine Spitfire
19 The Turin "bomb"
20 Satellite Communication
21 Magna Carta
23. The Church of England
27 The Hawker Hurricane
29. The Daleks
30. Dr Who
31.The Thames Embankment
32. Mars Bars
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:30 PMrys
35. Mass-produced soap
38. Thermos Flasks
39. HP Sauce
40. Bird's Custard
41.Pilkington's flat glass process
42. Steam Engines
43. A Language that does NOT necessitate attributing a sex to inanimate objects such as tables and chairs.
44. The revival of democracy in Argentina since 1982.
45. The Sandwich
46. The Fat Controller
47. Train spotting
48. Public rights of way.
49. The RNLI
50. Harrison's prize-winning H4 longitude watch.
51. The NSPCC
53. Beech Huts
54. The Plimsoll Line
55 The Driving Test
56. Gravity (or more precisely Sir Isaac Newton's Mathematical Principle's of Natural Philosophy)
57. Radio Detection Finding (RADAR)
58. The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.
58. The design, organisational structure, technical leadership, infrastructure and personnel of RAF Fighter Command 1936-1945.